A Shropshire pooch who was trapped under a pile of logs for four days was today recovering at home with his relieved owners.
Freddie the dog vanished after a walk on Friday from his home in Bayston Hill.
The small border terrier had got himself wedged underneath a neighbour’s shed which was full of logs. As well as hunting for their pet, the family also put a notice in the lost and found notices of today’s Shropshire Star.
Firefighters yesterday had to remove all the logs to get to the black and tan coloured dog through the floor boards.
Owner Martin Parrish, of Lower Pulley Lane, Bayston Hill, said Freddie was shaking and suffering from dehydration and toxic shock when he was pulled out.
Freddie, 18 months, had gone missing during a walk on Friday when he had run off with their other dog Pikey. Freddie, who is microchipped, was not rescued until 2.20pm yesterday.
Mr Parrish said it was unlike Freddie to disappear for more than five minutes and added he and his wife Andrea, 36, had searched all the fields around.
They even called out the Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club based in Cheshire to look for the missing pup on Sunday.
Mr Parrish, who is a director for St Kenelm Properties, said: “They walked all the fields and looked in every rabbit hole and badger set.
“They put down listening devices and if they had heard him down there, they would have applied to Defra for special permission to dig as badger setts are protected.”
But Freddie failed to appear and the couple placed a missing advert for him on www.doglost.co.uk They received more than 203 hits.
People in Bayston Hill even printed out posters from the site to display Freddie’s picture around the village. Mr Parrish said: “When he still didn’t turn up, we thought he may have been stolen. We were absolutely heart broken.”
But then the couple had a phone call yesterday from a neighbour at Pulley Hall who said he had heard a noise under his shed.
Mr Parrish, 53, said: “My wife and I dug as much as we could but it was quite dangerous because the ground could have collapsed so we called the fire brigade who were fantastic.
“They had to cut through the shed floor and they got him out. He was filthy and dehydrated and he was shaking. He hadn’t had anything to eat or drink for four days.”
By Rebecca Lawrence